On page and Off page SEO technique
Now, we learned about the theory about SEO and the importance of On-page SEO is justified after that’s let’s move on to the practical portion.
Some people can discuss that there are more On-page SEO techniques and not only 11, but these are the most important which you can apply to your website today and quickly boost up your SEO.
A list of summary of all On-page SEO techniques are as follows:-
- Publish high-quality content
- Optimize page titles and meta descriptions
- Optimize page content
- Headings and content formatting
- SEO Images and other multimedia elements
- URL optimization
- Internal links
- External links
- Page loading speed
- Comments and on-page SEO
1. Publish High-Quality Content
While dealing with SEO, you always need to focus on some important points are as follows:-
A website having brilliant content can do better with or without the help of SEO. A website having bad content cannot survive with or without SEO. A website with good content can become even much better together with the SEO!
What type of content is considered good content?
- Original content (articles, text, images, videos, presentations, infographics, comments, etc.) – no copies and rewrites of the existing articles.
- Content exclusive for your website – Even if it’s your own content, which has been already published on another website then it’s not good for your site unless and until you specify the canonical tag properly and correctly.
- Content that includes text elements – We must write text to accompany your non-text content. For example, if you are posting videos on your website then try to add a text description as well. If you are adding images then try to describe it in words what the image is all about.
- Content that is useful – We should not publish content for the sake of publishing. Before clicking on the publish button we should make sure that what goes live adds value to your website and readers.
- Content that is well researched – Users never want to read the prepared posts quickly and neither do search engines.
- Long articles are proof that it will rank better than that of short articles.
- Unbiased content – If you are writing on a certain topic or answering a question which makes sure that what you write is justified and covers both the sites of a story.
2. Optimize Page Titles and Meta Descriptions
This is SEO 101 but it’s very important for the optimization of on-page SEO. When search engines ‘read’ out your pages, among a list of other things, they will check out the page title and the description of a page.
They do so because they need to understand what the page is all about and also based on some other factors like off-page SEO, domain authority, competition, etc.. They will help out to rank your page in a position in their index.
Each and every page must have a unique title that will help both the web search engines and users to understand what the page is all about.
A page with the title “SEO Tips for Beginners” is much better than a page with the title like “index.html”.
The page title was also very important and still is one of the most important on-page SEO factors.
Page title optimization Tips-
- Add keywords to the beginning of your page titles – When we start adding possible target keywords to the beginning of your page title, this will help to search engines understand right from the beginning that what keywords are targeting the page.
- That does not mean you should cross the limits and start building out the keyword stuffing. If you cannot have a keyword at the beginning then it’s not necessary that there is the end of the world. Just be sure that your focusing keyword is one of the parts of the title or not.
- Write short and descriptive titles – A page title mustn’t have to be very long. The general recommendation of the title is that it should be below the 60 characters because this is the average amount of the characters which are being displayed by Google in the web search results.
- Include numbers and power words – It includes numbers in the title and also power words such as “Ultimate, actionable, amazing, checklist, etc.”, which makes the title sound more interesting and this helps to increase out their CTR (Click Through Rate).
- No need to include your domain in the title – There is no need to include your domain name in the title because this is being added by the Google automatically. You can use the 60 characters of the title to provide an accurate and precise description of the page.
- An exception to this rule is that when you have a strong brand which people can easily recognize and consider, in this case, you can consider having your domain in the title.
- For more optimization tips read out the Page titles optimization and also SEO best practices.
The page description means what does the searcher will recognize in the web search engine results page (SERPS). It has to be descriptive and must be up to 200 characters and the most important thing is should be unique for each page.
It’s a very big opportunity to advertise your page and convince the users to click your link and visit out your website rather than selecting among one of the other links provided.
It should be clear that Google does not always show the meta description which is provided, but many times they use an automated description if they believe that it is more useful for the searcher.
Meta description Optimization Tips-
- Avoid auto-generated descriptions – Even if Google is not using your description, it’s always a best practice to prohibit using the auto-generated descriptions that sometimes don’t make any sense.
- Add your target keyword in the description – Google still points out the search terms both in the terms of title and description. So the addition of your target keywords, makes the descriptions more relevant and appealing to the searcher.
3. Optimize Page Content
Content SEO is one of the parts of On-page SEO and it has to be done with optimizing the actual content based on your target keywords.
Before publishing any content whether this is text, images, audio or video, the first step is to search out your keyword.
This is very important to find out what search terms users are going to type in the search box and what type of content is going to satisfy their intent.
Once you start focusing on your target keywords, you should build a list of related keywords (also called LSI keywords), longtail keywords and try using them in your titles, descriptions, headings and on the page content.
Why should we do so?
When we start initiation with the introduction of Rank Brain, Google starts searching algorithms that have become more intelligent and besides the keyword relevancy in content, they also start looking for the relevant topics.
This means that in order to make your content more relevant to broaden out the topics, you need to enrich your content with the use of LSI keywords.
There are several ways to search out which keywords are considered by Google to be relevant for your target keywords.
The simplest and fastest way is to take benefits of three features which are being provided by Google:
- Google suggest
2. People also ask for
3. Related Searches
4. Google suggest
When you start typing any type of query in the Google search tab, then you will be presented with a list of possible phrases to help out in your search. These are the possible great keyword candidates that should be mentioned in your content.
- Google keyword suggest
- Google keywords suggest tool
- People Also Ask
People also ask
When you click on the search option, Google shows you the results and among them, a section will open called “People also ask”. These are very good candidates in order to use out for your sub-headings.
Google shows you a list of related searches, at the bottom of the search results.
All you have to do is that you should mention some of the above words in your content without doing keyword stuffing.
4. Headings and Content Formatting
A page should always be formatted properly. Before thinking of it as a report, it needs to have a heading (h1) and subheadings (h2, h3).
The H1 Tag
Each and every page needs to have only one H1 tag. If you are using WordPress then by default the title of a page will be wrapped out into H1 tags.
You can either select to have the same <title> and <h1> tag or you can provide an alternative title for the heading.
We should remember that web search engines always display in the results what they find in the title tag and not in the h1 tag.
As far as the other headings are concerned (h2, h3), the things you need to focus are the following:
- We should avoid using a single word for a heading but will make your headings interesting and it is useful for users that like to skim read an article.
- We must use headings in a hierarchy manner i.e. the first heading tag is the <h1> and then the <h2> and after that <h3>, <h4> etc.
- The subheadings are one of the great places to use related keywords in your content.
We must not just throw text on a page but make sure that it should be readable and understandable.
- We must use bold, underline or italics to point out the important parts of a page.
- We should use a good size font of at least 14px.
- We should split the text into small paragraphs (max 3-4 lines).
- We must use enough spacing between the paragraphs in order to make the text easier and convenient to read.
- We should make use of CSS in order to create sections that can stand out and break the text into smaller and more manageable parts.
5. Images and Other Multimedia Elements
Images are very important for the purpose of presentation. They will make a page much more interesting and much easier to understand.
The biggest problems with images are that search engines cannot understand them and that they used to add is the loading speed of a page.
Some of the best practices for SEO optimizing images are as follows:-
- We must use the original images. If you need to use an existing image from the web then you must need to refer the source.
- Optimize the size of the images – The image would be better if it’s size is smaller ( in bytes).
- Use an ALT tag to describe the image – This will help in searching engines to understand more what the image is all about.
- Use descriptive filenames – We must not name our image as ‘image1.jpg’ but try to use descriptive filenames, for example, ‘man-doing-push-ups.jpg’.
- Use a Content Delivery Network – If you have a number of images on a single page you must use a CDN service that will make your page load much faster. Your images will be hosted and served by a number of servers and this will help in speeding up the loading process.
6. URL Optimization
Optimizing your URLs is most important for getting the maximum SEO. It has been categorized into two parts. The first one is URL optimization and the other one is the URL structure.
A permanent link which is also known as a slug is one of the unique URLs of each and every page.
Good URLs must be less than 255 characters and there must be the use of hyphens to ‘-‘ separate the different parts.
Just the same as the page title, an SEO friendly URL must be short, descriptive and must consist of the target keyword.
These are some more examples of good URLs:
These are some more examples of bad URLs:
- https://www.reliablesoft.net/p?165 or
- https://www.reliablesoft.net/seotipsforbeginners/ or
The URL structure should imitate the actual structure of a website.
Best practices for optimizing your URL structure are as follows:-
a. Make use of categories
We should group your pages into categories in order to help users and web search engines to find what they want faster.
It’s like having a warehouse with plenty of uncategorized items versus a warehouse with all the items assigned to a dedicated category.
You can have the sub-categories as well but my advice is not to go over for the two levels. For example, a good category structure is:
- Homepage > Social Media > Facebook > Article
- Homepage > Social Media > Facebook > How To > Article
b. Allow users to navigate
A breadcrumb is very useful as it allows users to navigate your website in a very structured way. Since they always know where they are and how much far from the home page.
7. Internal Links
We all already know that linking the pages within your website which is very important for SEO because:
It’s like building and creating your own web
The first step a search engine spider will do once they start discovering a page, which is to follow the links they find on that page (both types of links that are internal and external links).
So, when they will arrive at your page, if you don’t have any other links to click within the text they will read your page and surely go for it.
If you have links highlighting the other pages within your website they will take those into account as well.
It’s a direction for the search engines to know about your other pages
As we have already explained above that when search engines find a page with links, they will go and read those pages too. So you can use this technique in order to tell search engines about the web pages of your website which they have not yet discovered.
It’s a process to tell search engines to choose out your most important pages
Each and every website has some pages that are more important than others. Internal linking is one of the ways to highlight the most important pages by sending them more and more internal links.
It’s a way to increase the users time spending on your site
A user that is reading your post is more curious to click on a link in order to read more about a certain topic. And thus increases both the time spend on your website, number of pages per visit and the decrease in the bounce rate.
Best practices for internal linking:
- We should not use keywords only for creating your internal links.
- We should add internal links when they are useful for your readers.
- There should not be more than 15 internal links per page.
- If possible, add the links in the main body of your webpage but it should not be added in the footer or sidebar.
8. External Links
After the release of Panda and Penguin, there are a lot of webmasters which are very afraid to link to other websites. They came to know that this will trigger a Google penalty but this is wrong.
If we start linking to other high-quality related websites, you will start increasing the trustworthiness of your content and this is very good for SEO.
Google can use external links as a way in order to make understand more about the related topics which you are covering in your content.
9. Page Loading Speed
Among all, there are 2 SEO techniques that are becoming more and more important are as follows:- speed and mobile-friendliness.
Page Loading Speed
Google is investing a large amount of money to make the web more and faster. In every Google, I/O someone will talk more about the importance of increasing the load speed and their desire to include the fastest websites in their index.
In order to ‘force’ website owners need to take loading speed into account, but they have officially added speed as one of the well-known ranking factors.
We must ensure that website speed does matter a lot when it comes to SEO and its ranking.
Considering a webmaster, your job is to ensure that your website would load as fast as possible by focusing on Google’s recommendations. If we are having fast-loading websites which are not only good for SEO but also for the purpose of customer retention and conversions.
10. Mobile Friendliness
We all know that almost 60% of the searches in Google are now coming from mobile devices. It means to state that if your website is not mobile-friendly, you will already start losing half of the potential traffic.
What should you do in that case?
First, be sure that your website is mobile-friendly. Check your website with the Google mobile-friendly tool and fix out if there are any potential problems.
Then go for further step and test out your website on mobile, like a real user used to so, and be sure that everything is getting displayed correctly and property including your CTA buttons.
While comparing general websites with a responsive design, we have nothing to worry about mobile-friendliness.
11. Comments and On-Page SEO
Many people believe that when there is a rise in social media blog comments which are no longer important, but they are absolutely wrong.
Blog comments are still very important. As per the statement of Google’s Gary Illyes, it’s an indication that people should like your content and must interact with the page and this can really help to boost up your SEO.
Users should be careful before posting a new comment will most probably read out the existing comments and this is also an additional way to increase the time which they spend on the page and your website.
In order to make better use of comments, we must follow these simple rules:
- We must always moderate comments before publishing
- We should avoid publishing comments that are too general
- We should only approve comments that are more relevant to the page content and add value
- We should not approve comments when users don’t use a real name
- We must always reply to comments, this will encourage more people to comment.
Best Off-Page SEO Techniques
When we start talking about overall ranking factors, considering only On-page SEO is not enough. Google changed its algorithm frequently and started analyzing each page considering multiple factors. As per the research, off-site SEO carries more than 50% of the overall ranking factors.
Some of the best Off-Page SEO Techniques are as enlisted below:-
- Guest Posting
- Social Media Promotion
- Email Marketing
- Q/A Submission
- Influencer Marketing
- Link Building/Exchanging
- Image/Document/Video Submission
- Social Bookmarking
- Blog Commenting
- Get Listed in Local Business
1) Guest Posting
Guest Posting is a set of practices of publishing the content on other’s websites related to a relevant topic. This is one of the best ways in order to attract a targeted audience to the website. All you need to do is that first, you find a perfect blog or website that will allow you to post as a guest.
Some of the blogs which used to offer guest posting, they used to write for our option on the homepage of the website. If not, you can be able to make your own business circle to guest posts regularly. It helps you in building a community within your industry. Concluding, Guest posting is one of the best off-page SEO techniques.
2) Social Media Promotion
Social Media Promotion Sharing will help the content to reach out to more of the audiences. And it will become one of the best ways to share any information because many people are engaged all-time in social media than any other platform. It also plays a significant role in helping you to choose out your favorite websites. So, social media promotion is one of the best alternative ways of driving traffic towards the website. Thus it is one of the most effective off-page SEO Techniques.
3) Email Marketing
Email marketing is one of the other off-page SEO techniques. It is one of the best ways of offering specific products or services to some of the targeted customers. In order to carry out email marketing, you first of all need to collect the email of some number of targeted customers through email campaigns, newsletter signups, and contact forms. You can also offer them seasonal deals and offers them through the use of email marketing.
Email is also a great way in order to attract traffic to the website. While marketing your products or services by email can be one of the fast, flexible and cost-effective ways of reaching new customers and retaining out from the existing customers by encouraging repeat website visits. Email marketing can lead you to create targeted and personalized messages to get possible better results.
4) Q/A Submission
Delivering an answer to the questions is a great way of attracting more traffic towards the recognized website. You can use over the sites like Quora.com, Answer.com, yahoo.com, answerbag.com, etc. The best tip is that you have to find out the audience of your described niche and solve the problem related to your niche. The traffic from Q&A sites is quality and stable because the number of targeted audiences are coming to visit your site.
5) Influencer Marketing
First of all, try to reach out to the influencer in your industry. In order to list out the people who are doing great in your niche and let them know about the quality of your content, services, products. And also try to encourage them in order to share your content with their targeted audiences. Influencer marketing can be paid as well, in some cases, it is depending upon how many followers he or she has got.
So, there should be provisions of strategic partnerships and form mutually beneficial relationships with other influencers who can help you to get more exposure from the right audiences.
6) Link Building/Exchanging
Link building is one of the other very important Off-page SEO techniques in now today’s practice. It helps us to increase our trust, and improve the level of a brand in the internet world. Google gives the prioritizes of the content with a large number of links.
A link that helps in exchanging the process of giving a link to each other in the relevant contexts.
They are mainly categorized into three types of links. They are:-
- Natural Links: Some of the users or customers or second person automatically links to your site building up a sign of trust, endorsement, and appreciation.
- Manually Built Links: You can easily get the link back manually by asking them to link back to your website.
- Self-Created Links: These are the links which are created intentionally by mentioning comment in blogs, directories, blog comment signature with the optimized number of anchor texts.
7) Image/Document/Video Submission
We should initiate sharing images, documents, and videos, and other relevant infographics in the respective directories. This is one of the ways, you can attract traffic to your site. Images and Videos can go viral nowadays, so you must try to bet in them. For example, you can make use of the following platforms –
- Image – Instagram, Pinterest, Flickr, Photobucket
- Video – YouTube, Vimeo
- Document – SlideShare, Issuu, Scribd
8) Social Bookmarking
Social Bookmarking is another one of a great way of promoting and increasing the traffic of the website. We should submit your latest blog posts and pages to the most popular bookmarking websites, such as StumbleUpon, Delicious, Reddit, Digg, etc.
The content on these bookmarking sites can be updated very frequently, so, search engines really give more priorities to these types of sites. You should pay very attention while doing this and you must properly handle the tags which are very essential in order to broadcast your news on a wide area network.
9) Blog Commenting
We should not hesitate in order to comment on authority blogs. Blog comments on other blogs within the same niche as yours which allows you to add a link in the comments section. These links can then be crawled by search engines, which will help to point them towards your site.
Blog Commenting is also one of the best off-page SEO techniques.
10) Get Listed in Local Business
Whenever we are getting listed in the local business which is very essential in today’s online business. Getting dependent on your niche and business fields, you might search that listing in local directories which may be very useful. You have to focus on optimizing your content and links. And from that, you will lead to generating a decent number of social traffic and brand awareness.
Local listing is very important based on the two factors, if you are doing business on a local basis then you have a high opportunity of getting business also you should not fight with the global number of competitors. Instead of moving through global and facing huge competition, listing your website locally, hence web search engines can easily go and view your website. So, we can easily say that local listing is another best off-page SEO techniques.
We should submit your website to sites such as- Google My Business, Google Maps, Yellow Pages, Local Business Directories, etc.
So, these are the most widely known and followed Off-Page SEO Techniques by the professional.
Comparatively, off-page SEO is a lot bit harder I’m ordered to get better results than on-page SEO. These above discussed 10 tips should boost up your SEO strategies and will help to improve your website traffic numbers. You have to work at it on overtime and perhaps try to get out of your comfort zone and make to connect network with other bloggers.
For more information, you can search on Google.