Paytm Struggle and history
Paytm A Vijay Shekhar Sharma’s Master plan is a digital wallet that came in 2010 launched and promoted by Vijay Shekhar Sharma’s One97 communication. In their early days, this online wallet cum e-commerce website was helping to make transactions for some limited areas like mobile and DTH recharge and for shopping transactions. Coming back to present days, this portal has boomed its scope and has covered about anything and everything under the sphere of their functions. App users now can recharge their metro card, pay bills for electricity and water, transfer money to other bank accounts, book flight/train/bus tickets, make a hotel booking, pay for fares and it is convenient in day to day transactions also.
In a period of almost 10 years 350 million users and counting Paytm has come a long way, with the capacity of handling 5000 transactions per second is something that makes everyone “Paytm Karo”. It takes no time to scan the QR code from the app and voila transaction details are there, do it and that’s all you are done with a successful transaction. This app has significantly has come across as an alternative for day to day payments which used to be done in cash.
Additionally, it is Reserve Bank of India (RBI)-approved e-wallet which means the user’s money is protected under the Escrow account with a nationalized bank. The security feature and friendly user interface make it really fun and simple to use. Hence, makes it a loved wallet among Indians. App uses Verisign-certified SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) 128-bit encryption technology. This ensures that the online information of the person using Paytm like password and other financial details are safest, thus providing greater security to app users.
Journey to nothing to a big brand was not easy for the Paytm, faced hurdles and disappointments but stayed strong -Here is the list of investors who believed in Vijay Shekhar when no one did.
- In October 2011 sapphire ventures invested $ 10 million in one97 communication Ltd, Vijay shekhar promoter company. Having shareholding of 38% in Paytm.
- In March 2015, Vijay Shekhar received its huge sum from Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba Group based in China, after Ant Group. Held 40% stock in Paytm. After this Ratan tata also gave some backing to the app.
- In August 2016, Paytm raised funding from Mountain Capital, one of the Taiwan-based investment funds at the sum of over $5 billion. Again a big move for Paytm.
- In May 2017, Paytm received its biggest sum from SoftBank which also holds a good stake in Alibaba, thus making the Paytm valuation to an around $10 billion.
- In August 2018, Hathaway invested $356 million for approximately a 4% stake in Paytm, although after much controversy Hathaway officially confirmed that Buffett was not involved in the funding.
- On November 25, 2019, Vijay raised $1 billion in a funding round led by T Rowe Price along with existing investors Ant Financial and SoftBank which is the biggest funding given to startup in 2019.
Paytm’s an investment :
- In 2013, Vijay Shekhar acquired Plustxt for around less than $2 million. Plustxt was start-up IIT graduates that allow fast text messaging in all Indian languages.
- In 2015, Vijay Shekhar funded $5 million to auto-rickshaw pooling delivery firm Jugnoo. The funds were given to encourage Jugnoo to better up its operations across the country and get manpower in the company.
- Purchased Delhi-based consumer behavior prediction application Shifu and local services startup Near.in
- In 2016, Vijay Shekhar Sharma invested in logistics startups LogiNext and XpressBees it was also been a fruitful one for Vijay Shekhar.
- In 2017 Vijay Shekhar invested in healthcare startup QorQL.
- In 2017 took a majority stake in INSIDER.IN
- In 2018 acquired Cube26.
Top points of comparison between phonepe, Google pay and Paytm
Best Paytm features:
- RBI approved secure e-wallet is the biggest plus for Paytm.
- A zero banking charge is another good feature.
- Utilities: Payments bank, ticket booking- flight, train, bus & movie, UPI Payments and day to day small transactions and 350 million user-base.
- Transaction limit: 1L for wallet & 1L+ for UPI bank transfer is great to limit offered by Paytm.
- Available on Android & iOS in application format.
- Zero banking charges the same as Paytm.
- Utilities: UPI payments, Bill payments- phone, DTH service, gas, ticket booking- train, bus, flight, etc same as Paytm. Good cashback facilities.
- Transaction Limit: More than 1L
- The drawback is the userbase of Google pay that is only 67 million users.
- Bill Payments, DTH recharge, ticket bookings and day to day transactions.
- UPI transactions.
- Zero banking charge.
- Transaction limit:10000 for wallet and 1L for UPI.
Based on economic times report:
Google Pay leads in terms of aggregate transaction values for payment (Google Pay-55,000Cr, PhonePe-44,000Cr, Paytm-38,200Cr). However, Paytm still have bigger market coverage among the three.
Awards and recognition:
Paytm is celebrating success; it has won numerous awards around the globe for work in the field of digital payment and e-commerce developers. Here is a list of awards and recognition gained by Paytm.
1. The Diamond SABRE Award achieved by Paytm.
3. The Gold SABRE Award in Financial Services.
4. Vijay Shekhar Sharma recognized under 50 influential people.
5. Vijay Shekhar Sharma won at Entrepreneur India Award for Paytm.
6. Vijay Shekhar Sharma was listed in the Time 100 List of Most Influential People in the World for his Paytm.
7. Vijay Shekhar Sharma got another respect was recognized as the Entrepreneur of the Year at The Entrepreneur’s Moneytech Award.
8. Vijay Shekhar Sharma was announced Data Quest IT Person of the Year again made headlines.
9. Vijay Shekhar Sharma won the Forbes Top 40 Under 40 Award biggest achievement so far.
10. The Best Digital Wallet award at the 11th IAMAI India Digital Summit again for Paytm.