PMGKY pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan
After the declaration of 21 days full of Lock-down by PM Modi in India, the Central government has now been authorized by Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY).
PMJKY 2020 has been declared by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Thursday on 26th March 2020 in order to fight against the epidemic COVID 19 outbreak. The Government of PM Narendra Modi has declared a special package for the poor and needy people residing in India. The Government has made an announcement of approximately 1.7 Lakh Crore Package under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY). The Government is trying to serve poor people, wage workers, women, widower, physically challenged people. Some of the highlighted points are as enlisted below:-
- The insurance scheme will give an amount of Rs 50 Lakh per health worker who is fighting against COVID-19.
- 80 crore poor people will get 5 kg of wheat or rice and 1 kg of pulses free of cost for the next three months.
- 20 crore women Jan Dhan account holders to get Rs 500 per month for the next three months.
- An increase in MNREGA wage from Rs 182 to Rs 202 a day will benefit 13.62 crore families.
- An ex-gratia of Rs 1,000 will be given to 3 crores poor senior citizens, poor widows and poor disabled.
- The government will pay Rs 2,000 to farmers in the first week of April under existing PM Kisan Yojana to benefit 8.7 crore farmers.
- Central Government has ordered State Governments to use Building and Construction Workers Welfare Fund to provide relief to Construction Workers against COVID 19.
|S. N.||Beneficiary||Amount / Benefits|
|1.||Ration cardholder (80 Cr people)||5 kg ration free of cost additionally|
|2.||Corona warriors (doctors, nurse, staff)||50 lakh insurance|
|3.||Farmers (registered in PM Kisan Yojana)||2000/- (In April first week)|
|4.||Jan Dhan account holders (women’s)||500/- for next three months|
|5.||Widower, poor citizens, disabled, senior citizens||1000/- (for next three month)|
|6.||Ujjawala Scheme||Cylinder free of cost for the next three months|
|7.||SHGs||Will get an extra 10 lakh collateral loan|
|8.||Construction worker||31000 Cr fund will be used for them|
|9.||24% (12% +12%) will be paid by the government for the next three month|
|10.||MNREGA||Rs 2,000 benefit annually to a worker|
The Union Finance & Corporate Affairs Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman today declared Rs 1.70 Lakh Crore as a relief package under PMGKY for the poor and needy people in order to help them fight against the battle of Corona Virus 2019. While directing the press conference here today, Smt. Sitharaman announced that regarding today’s measures are planned to fulfill the basic needs of the poor, with food and money in hands, so that they do not face any type of difficulties in buying essential supplies and meeting basic needs due to the outbreak of Coronavirus.
The Minister of State for Finance & Corporate Affairs Shri Anurag Singh Thakur was also present besides Shri Atanu Chakraborty, Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs and Shri Debashish Panda, Secretary, Department of Financial Services.
Following are the components of the PMGKY Package: —
Medical Insurance to Paramedic / Nurses / Asha Workers & Others fighting COVID 19
- The insurance scheme is made for health workers fighting against COVID-19 in Government Hospitals and Health Care Centres.
- PMGKY scheme will cover cleaning workers, ward-boys, nurses, ASHA workers, paramedics, technicians, doctors, specialists, and other health workers and will get the benefits of this scheme.
- Any health professional, who while treating COVID-19 patients, meet with some accident, then he/she would be compensated with an amount of Rs 50 lakh under the scheme.
- All government health centers, wellness centers and hospitals of Centre, as well as States, would be covered under this scheme approximately 22 lakh health workers would be provided insurance cover to fight this pandemic.
PM GARIB KALYAN ANN YOJANA
- The government of India would not let anybody, especially any poor family, be the victim on account of the non-availability of foodgrains due to disruption in the next three months.
- 80 crore individuals which include roughly two-thirds of India’s population lies under this group.
- Each one of them would be given double their current entitlement over the next three months.
- This benefit would be provided free of cost.
- Under PMGKY All Ration Card Holders will get additional 5 Kg Rice/Wheat under this Scheme and they will not pay a single money for the next 3 months.
- To ensure proper availability of protein to all the above-mentioned individuals, Free 1 kg pulses per family, would be given as per the regional preferences for the next three months.
- These pulses would be given free of cost by the Government of India.
Rs. 2,000 DBT for Farmers under PM-KISAN Scheme
The benefit to farmers:
- The first installment of the amount Rs 2,000 due in 2020-21 will be paid in April 2020 itself who lies under the PM KISAN Yojana.
- It would include almost 8.7 crore farmers.
Cash transfers Under PM Garib Kalyan Yojana:
Help to Poor:
- Jan Dhan’s account holders that are around 20 crore women will be given ex-gratia amount of ₹500 per month for the next three months, to run the affairs of their households.
Free Cylinders to PM Ujjwala Yojana Beneficiaries
- Under PMGKY, gas cylinders would be given to 8 crore poor families for the next three months free of cost.
Help to low wage earners in organized sectors:
- Wage-earners who earn below Rs 15,000 per month in businesses having less than 100 workers are at risk of losing their employment.
- Under this package, the government agreed to pay 24 percent of their monthly wages into their PF accounts for the upcoming three months.
- This would help to prevent disruption in their employment.
Support for senior citizens (above 60 years), widows and Divyang:
- There are approximately 3 crore aged widows and people who lie under the Divyang category are unsafe due to economic disruption caused by COVID-19.
- The government will provide Rs 1,000 to support against difficulties during the next three months.
- Under PMGKY MNREGA salaries would be increased by Rs 20 due to the lockdown effect from 1 April 2020. Wage increased under MNREGA will serve an additional amount of Rs 2,000 benefits annually to a worker.
- This will benefit more than 13.62 crore families.
Collateral Free Loans up to Rs. 20 Lakh to Women SHGs
- Women grouped through 63 lakh Self Help Groups (SHGs) will help to support 6.85 crore households.
- There is a limit of collateral-free lending which would be increased from Rs 10 to Rs 20 lakhs.
Other components of PMGKY package
- Employees’ Provident Fund Regulations will be changed in order to include Pandemic COVID 19 as the reason to enable the non-refundable advance of 75 percent of the amount or three months of the wages, whichever will be accounted lower, from their accounts.
- The families of almost four crore workers registered under EPF can take benefit from this package.
Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Fund:
- Workers Welfare Fund created under a Central Government Act made for the workers working in the building and other construction projects.
- There are approximately about 3.5 Crore registered workers lies under this Fund.
- State Governments will direct how to utilize this fund in order to provide assistance and support to these workers to protect them against economic disruptions.
District Mineral Fund
The State Government will be questioned to make use of the funds available under the District Mineral Fund (DMF). It serves in supplementing and augmenting facilities of medical testing, screening and other requirements in relation to the prevention of the spread of COVID-19 pandemic as well as treating the patients affected with this pandemic.
Home Delivery of Medicines
CCEA on 26 March 2020 has also approved the scheme for home delivery of medicines to ensure that people get essential medicines at their homes. To ensure social distancing and prevent buyer’s lines in front of medical shops during a lockdown, govt. has approved this scheme.
Where can I check the PMGKY beneficiary list?
As of now, there is not government website/portal which has been created where you can check the beneficiary list of PMGKY It seems that the selection of beneficiaries will be enlisted on the basis of SECC-2011 data or beneficiaries of other central govt. schemes such as Ujjwala Yojana / PM Awas Yojana, Jan Dhan Yojana, etc. can be included under the Garib Kalyan Yojana.
How to Apply for PMGKY?
There is no procedure seen and announced in order to apply online or offline for Garib Kalyan Yojana as of now. The government has announced that there is no need to apply online or offline and no procedure to register anywhere for the scheme benefits.
At last, let us discuss that the scheme will come into effect immediately. People will initiate getting benefits from the scheme from 1 April 2020.
So, these are the ‘Garib Kalyan Packages’ announced on the second day of the lockdown by the Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman for the poor and needy, in order to benefit daily wage workers to fight against economic distress.
Some Important Questions to Discuss
How much extra ration will be given to the ration cardholder?
People having a ration cardholder will get an extra 5kg ration (wheat/rice) for the next three months.
2. Does the ration cardholder need to pay anything for that extra ration?
No, they are no need to pay anything for that extra ration. It’s totally free of cost.
3. Is there any other benefit for the ration cardholder?
Definitely yes, they will also get 1 kg pulses (daal) free for the upcoming three months.
4. How much money will be given to the senior citizen, widower, and pensioner?
They will get an extra amount of 1000 rupees for the next three months.
5. How much money will be given to the Jan Dhan Yojana account holder?
An amount of Rs 500 will be given to women who are the Jan Dhan Yojana accountholder.
6. Who is Covered Under the PMGKY?
Approximately 80 Crore people who lie into the lower income group or the BPL might lie under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana. Finally, there is no clear notification from the government.